Here is the gray!!! It’s lighter than I wanted it to be, but I didn’t want to get too dark too quickly….that and I really should’ve put the red AFTER this layer….-__- oh well….still came out nice.
Here are a few close-ups of Ajax’s face and his belly…..:) He’s so cute ❤
Here is my up-to-date cat!!!
The red and green together
From here it will be all the darker colors: gray, brown, dark gray and black. It pops “meow” so I can’t wait to print the next layers!!! 🙂
Here is a close-up of Ajax’s face:
The block as of now:
Close-ups of the woodblock
The flowers in the background
Another commission project that I am working on is a piece from Marie-Madeleine Franc-Nohain’s baby calendar. My cousin and his wife wanted this particular print to hang in their baby’s nursery but wanted it to be bigger than the painting in the book. Hence I come in…The print in the book looks like a woodcut originally so it was pretty easy to break it down into colors. To make it more fluid and my own interpretation of this piece, we decided that I would carve the outline onto a linoleum block and then watercolor the piece. This way it is less time and less money. AND IT’LL LOOK AWESOME!!!! And I can change colors to suit their tastes if they want to change it. 🙂 And I can continue to make multiples of this wonderful picture in honor of Ms. Franc-Nohain.
I didn’t get a chance to post up my last few layers of color for my cat commission so here they are meow!!! I printed the yellow first, then it was pink, then blue and now finally the green. Interestingly, the blue after this green layer now looks a little purple…o__O hmm. Contrasting colors, eh?! But it should mellow out after I print my next couple of layers.
Pink and blue layers next to each other
GREEN!!! The current layer
The woodblock. I really like it just like this 😀
Now i have to wait for this green layer to dry before I can print my next layer of color….which I still have to decide if it’ll be light gray or red…..I’m just a little concerned that I printed too dark too soon….which is a reduction woodcutting NIGHTMARE….O__O *worry worry* but I think it’ll all work out in the end 🙂 I’m really liking how this is coming out.
I have finally printed the first layer for my cat commission project!!!! WOOHOOOOOO!!!!!
You can start to see the outline of Ajax and some of the flower texture. I’ve already started carving for the second layer and I hope that the ink in this layer will dry by tomorrow or Thursday!! I want to print again!! It’s funny though, I started carving right after printing yesterday but I have this bad habit of leaning on my block to carve certain areas…so, my forearms got all yellow-y. I washed and scrubbed three times with two different kinds of soap, but it wasn’t quite enough. I showed up to work with inky arms….and got teased by some of my co-workers because it was worse than I thought….>__< heehee…..BUT! Once I got home and scrubbed with a rough towel and soap, it came off fine 🙂 I’m off to carve again though, so I should really learn to use a rag to lean on….